Agenda, decisions and minutes

Cabinet - Thursday, 5th August, 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber

Contact: Committee Services 

Items
No. Item

28.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 327 KB

The Minutes of the meeting of 1 July 2021 are attached to be confirmed and signed as a correct record.

Decision:

At the previous meeting of Cabinet, Members considered the Welcome Back Fund and the Joint Chief Executive updated Members on:

 

     The working party’s progress on the Council’s bid for an e-commerce platform.  The working party agreed to survey Hart's local businesses to see what they think of the introduction of an E-Commence platform for the district, in order to understand and benchmark demand/interest in the service.

 

     Also, as a point of clarification, a funding bid from Fleet Bid was confirmed as a net figure, not including VAT, which therefore means that if they choose a contractor who is VAT registered an additional level of payment will need to be made.

 

The Chairman announced the nomination of Councillor Drage to fill the outside body representation for Blackwater Valley Recreation and Countryside Management Committee and that the Council will no longer be representing Inclusion Hampshire or with The Vine Centre (Cllr Bailey confirming ongoing discussion around engagement with The Vine Centre, on a different footing.

 

Based on the updates above and the minutes supplied, for the meeting of 1 July 2021, they were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

Minutes:

At the previous meeting of Cabinet, Members considered the Welcome Back Fund and the Joint Chief Executive updated Members on:

 

     The working party’s progress on the Council’s bid for an e-commerce platform.  The working party agreed to survey Hart's local businesses to see what they think of the introduction of an E-Commence platform for the district, in order to understand and benchmark demand/interest in the service.

 

     Also, as a point of clarification, a funding bid from Fleet Bid was confirmed as a net figure, not including VAT, which therefore means that if they choose a contractor who is VAT registered an additional level of payment will need to be made.

 

The Chairman announced the nomination of Councillor Drage to fill the outside body representation for Blackwater Valley Recreation and Countryside Management Committee and that the Council will no longer be representing Inclusion Hampshire or with The Vine Centre (Cllr Bailey confirming ongoing discussion around engagement with The Vine Centre, on a different footing.

 

Based on the updates above and the minutes supplied, for the meeting of 1 July 2021, they were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

29.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence from Members*.

 

*Note: Members are asked to email Committee services in advance of the meeting as soon as they become aware they will be absent.

Minutes:

Apologies had been received from Councillor Quarterman.

30.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

To declare disposable pecuniary, and any other interests*.

 

*Note: Members are asked to email Committee Services in advance of the meeting as soon as they become aware they may have an interest to declare.

Minutes:

No declarations made.

31.

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

Minutes:

The Chairman had no announcements.

32.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION (ITEMS PERTAINING TO THE AGENDA)

Minutes:

None.

33.

MINUTES FROM THE CLIMATE CHANGE WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 237 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 20 July 2021 to be noted.

Minutes:

Minutes of the meeting held on 20 July 2021 were noted.

34.

HART DISTRICT COUNCIL CUSTOMER CARE POLICIES pdf icon PDF 210 KB

To refresh and update Hart District Councils Customer Care Standards both reflecting and respecting the changing nature of demand from our residents.

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

That Cabinet approve:

1.  The revised Customer Care Standards as set out in Appendix A.

2.  The revised Policy and Guidance for Dealing with Unreasonable Customer Behaviour as set out in Appendix B.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Members were presented with the refreshed and updated Council’s Customer Care Standards which reflects the changing nature of demand from our residents.  The refreshed policy responds to our customer needs and expectations and includes a more defined reference to social media and unreasonable behavour.

 

Members asked what steps were being taken to improve our ablity to evidence service performance, responding to our customers and the use of generic email addresses.  The Joint Chief Executive informed Cabinet Members that Hart is updating their website, streamlining email contact details and are improving communication by looking at improving our telephone system.

 

Members questioned feedback received from our customers on delivery of our services and were informed that we are reporting service standards on a monthly basis to ensure we are working smarter and more efficiently.  Cabinet were told there will be a subsequent report going to Overview & Scrutiny Committee outlining our complaints service.

 

DECISION

 

That Cabinet approved:

1.         The revised Customer Care Standards as set out in Appendix A.

2.         The revised Policy and Guidance for Dealing with Unreasonable Customer Behaviour as set out in Appendix B.

Minutes:

Members were presented with the refreshed and updated Council’s Customer Care Standards which reflects the changing nature of demand from our residents.  The refreshed policy responds to our customer needs and expectations and includes a more defined reference to social media and unreasonable behavour.

 

Members asked what steps were being taken to improve our ablity to evidence service performance, responding to our customers and the use of generic email addresses.  The Joint Chief Executive informed Cabinet Members that Hart is updating their website, streamlining email contact details and are improving communication by looking at improving our telephone system.

 

Members questioned feedback received from our customers on delivery of our services and were informed that we are reporting service standards on a monthly basis to ensure we are working smarter and more efficiently.  Cabinet were told there will be a subsequent report going to Overview & Scrutiny Committee outlining our complaints service.

 

DECISION

 

That Cabinet approved:

1.         The revised Customer Care Standards as set out in Appendix A.

2.         The revised Policy and Guidance for Dealing with Unreasonable Customer Behaviour as set out in Appendix B.

35.

COMMUNITY TRIGGER POLICY pdf icon PDF 192 KB

The Community Trigger was introduced in the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 to provide a mechanism for victims of persistent anti-social behaviour to request that relevant bodies undertake a case review.

 

The purpose of this report is to seek Cabinet approval for the policy drawn up so it can be adopted and implemented.

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

It is recommended that Cabinet approve the adoption of the Community Trigger Policy.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The Community Trigger was introduced in the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 to provide a mechanism for victims of persistent anti-social behaviour to request that relevant bodies undertake a case review.

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee had a useful debate about this paper and asked for a point in Section 9 regarding anonymity to be clarified.  The policy has been updated to reflect this request with a clearer explanation and the insertion of a footnote around the requirements of local authorities to publish Community Trigger data but not Community Triggers themselves.  Further questioning was asserted around plans to communicate and promote the policy which will be addressed comprehensively upon adoption.

 

Cabinet approval was sought for the policy be drawn up so it can be adopted and implemented.

 

Members considered:

     What factors constitute a qualifying complaint?

     The impact on community.

     That the policy reflects what can be done to improve circumstances what has been done and how we can improve the situation.

     Mental health will be considered, and anonymity will remain.

 

Members agreed that this is a great mechanism to bring agencies together to discuss complaints and resolve situations.

 

DECISION

 

Cabinet approved the adoption of the Community Trigger Policy.

Minutes:

The Community Trigger was introduced in the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 to provide a mechanism for victims of persistent anti-social behaviour to request that relevant bodies undertake a case review.

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee had a useful debate about this paper and asked for a point in Section 9 regarding anonymity to be clarified.  The policy has been updated to reflect this request with a clearer explanation and the insertion of a footnote around the requirements of local authorities to publish Community Trigger data but not Community Triggers themselves.  Further questioning was asserted around plans to communicate and promote the policy which will be addressed comprehensively upon adoption.

 

Cabinet approval was sought for the policy be drawn up so it can be adopted and implemented.

 

Members considered:

     What factors constitute a qualifying complaint?

     The impact on community.

     That the policy reflects what can be done to improve circumstances what has been done and how we can improve the situation.

     Mental health will be considered, and anonymity will remain.

 

Members agreed that this is a great mechanism to bring agencies together to discuss complaints and resolve situations.

 

DECISION

 

Cabinet approved the adoption of the Community Trigger Policy.

36.

REVISED SAFEGUARDING POLICY & PROCEDURE AND MODERN SLAVERY TRANSPARENCY STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 256 KB

The Safeguarding Policy & Procedure was last updated in 2018 and is due for revision and update this year to include some additional information around Child Criminal Exploitation (CCE) and a new procedure for submitting referrals directly to Children’s or Adult’s Services, as appropriate.  The Modern Slavery Transparency Statement aims to show the council’s commitment to ensuring there is no Modern Slavery in the council’s supply chains.

 

The purpose of this report is to seek Cabinet approval for the revised Safeguarding Policy & Procedure and Modern Slavery Transparency Statement papers drawn up so they can be adopted and implemented.

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

It is recommended that Cabinet approve the adoption of the revised Safeguarding Policy & Procedure?and Modern Slavery Transparency Statement.?

Additional documents:

Decision:

The Safeguarding Policy & Procedure was last updated in 2018 and is due for revision and update this year to include some additional information around Child Criminal Exploitation (CCE) and a new procedure for submitting referrals directly to Children’s or Adult’s Services, as appropriate.  The Modern Slavery Transparency Statement aims to show the council’s commitment to ensuring there is no Modern Slavery in the council’s supply chains.

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee had a useful debate about the Safeguarding Policy & Procedure and asked for an additional appendix to be considered in a second draft to clarify around safeguarding in partnership.  The paper has been updated to reflect this request.  There was a further suggestion to produce a Quick Guide to Safeguarding reference sheet which will be created and circulated to staff and elected members by end of September 2021.  There were no changes requested to the proposed Modern Slavery Transparency Statement.

 

Cabinet approval was sought for the revised Safeguarding Policy & Procedure and Modern Slavery Transparency Statement papers be drawn up so they can be adopted and implemented.

 

Members considered the areas of concern and want to be more proactive on investigating specific cases.  It was confirmed that our duty is to facilitate and bring attention to issues, raise concerns to the approved services and pass on the information for them to solve. 

 

DECISION

 

Cabinet approved the adoption of the revised Safeguarding Policy & Procedure?and Modern Slavery Transparency Statement.?

Minutes:

The Safeguarding Policy & Procedure was last updated in 2018 and is due for revision and update this year to include some additional information around Child Criminal Exploitation (CCE) and a new procedure for submitting referrals directly to Children’s or Adult’s Services, as appropriate.  The Modern Slavery Transparency Statement aims to show the council’s commitment to ensuring there is no Modern Slavery in the council’s supply chains.

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee had a useful debate about the Safeguarding Policy & Procedure and asked for an additional appendix to be considered in a second draft to clarify around safeguarding in partnership.  The paper has been updated to reflect this request.  There was a further suggestion to produce a Quick Guide to Safeguarding reference sheet which will be created and circulated to staff and elected members by end of September 2021.  There were no changes requested to the proposed Modern Slavery Transparency Statement.

 

Cabinet approval was sought for the revised Safeguarding Policy & Procedure and Modern Slavery Transparency Statement papers be drawn up so they can be adopted and implemented.

 

Members considered the areas of concern and want to be more proactive on investigating specific cases.  It was confirmed that our duty is to facilitate and bring attention to issues, raise concerns to the approved services and pass on the information for them to solve. 

 

DECISION

 

Cabinet approved the adoption of the revised Safeguarding Policy & Procedure?and Modern Slavery Transparency Statement.?

37.

PARKRUN pdf icon PDF 240 KB

To gain approval for Parkrun volunteers to establish a new event at Edenbrook Country Park.

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

1.  That Hart enter a 12-month agreement with Parkrun UK to enable them to establish a trial Parkrun event at Edenbrook Country Park.

 

2.  That £1,000 funding be drawn down from the Health Eating and Lifestyles reserve to contribute towards the set up.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Cabinet were asked to approve for Parkrun volunteers to establish a new event at Edenbrook Country Park.

 

The Countryside Manager answered questions raised:

 

1.   Access to the park and parking; There are concerns that the Leisure Centre and the carpark (for people visiting the Country Park) is inadequate, particularly when heavily used at the weekends. How will we prevent issues from car parking?

 

Answer:  The organisers are in talks with both Everyone Active and Calthorpe Park School to agree the use of their car parks for event participants.

 

2.   Emerald Avenue has been used by parents collecting children from Calthorpe Park School which creates a dangerous situation for other road users on a blind bend. How will we prevent Park Run participants creating highway issues?

 

Answer:  The organisers are in contact with all the participants and are very clear to runners where they can park and walk to the starting point.  This will also be signposted.

 

3.   The space outlined for use by Park Run is not just for dog walking but is well used for meeting friends, picnics, for young children to fly kites and play, and for the elderly come to sit on the benches when it is cool in the morning and late afternoon. How is it proposed that non Parkrun users access the field when the run route encircles the field, are they to be effectively banned from using the Park?

 

Answer:  We agree there are some temporary restrictions to accessing all the park during this period, but we will work with Parkrun to make sure that there is available space away from the event for other users and ask that this is signposted. Marshalls will also be manning points where people will cross to maintain safety.  Routes can be adapted, and more space will become available at the Country Park in time with the construction of the Grove Farm extension and that will lessen the impact and leave most of the park free for other users.

 

4.   How can we prevent conflict between runners, dogwalkers, cyclists and other people using the park?

 

Answer:  We encourage good behaviour from all our users but understand that this is not always easy.  Participants are briefed before the run and have a “code of conduct” that encourages mindfulness to other park users.

 

5.   During heavy rain it is quite common for many of the paths to become flooded. This may encourage runners to run off the paths and onto the grassed areas causing damage to the flood plain. It takes days for the paths to recover from heavy rain and from October to March they barely recover at all. How will we prevent damage in such circumstances?

 

Answer:  The event will not run during times were high rainfall or flooding is forecast. The route will be inspected, and the event cancelled if not found suitable.

 

6.   The grassed embankment, which is manmade, and runs from the Country Park car park alongside the residential properties is not owned or  ...  view the full decision text for item 37.

Minutes:

Cabinet were asked to approve for Parkrun volunteers to establish a new event at Edenbrook Country Park.

 

The Countryside Manager answered questions raised:

 

1.   Access to the park and parking; There are concerns that the Leisure Centre and the carpark (for people visiting the Country Park) is inadequate, particularly when heavily used at the weekends. How will we prevent issues from car parking?

 

Answer:  The organisers are in talks with both Everyone Active and Calthorpe Park School to agree the use of their car parks for event participants.

 

2.   Emerald Avenue has been used by parents collecting children from Calthorpe Park School which creates a dangerous situation for other road users on a blind bend. How will we prevent Park Run participants creating highway issues?

 

Answer:  The organisers are in contact with all the participants and are very clear to runners where they can park and walk to the starting point.  This will also be signposted.

 

3.   The space outlined for use by Park Run is not just for dog walking but is well used for meeting friends, picnics, for young children to fly kites and play, and for the elderly come to sit on the benches when it is cool in the morning and late afternoon. How is it proposed that non Parkrun users access the field when the run route encircles the field, are they to be effectively banned from using the Park?

 

Answer:  We agree there are some temporary restrictions to accessing all the park during this period, but we will work with Parkrun to make sure that there is available space away from the event for other users and ask that this is signposted. Marshalls will also be manning points where people will cross to maintain safety.  Routes can be adapted, and more space will become available at the Country Park in time with the construction of the Grove Farm extension and that will lessen the impact and leave most of the park free for other users.

 

4.   How can we prevent conflict between runners, dogwalkers, cyclists and other people using the park?

 

Answer:  We encourage good behaviour from all our users but understand that this is not always easy.  Participants are briefed before the run and have a “code of conduct” that encourages mindfulness to other park users.

 

5.   During heavy rain it is quite common for many of the paths to become flooded. This may encourage runners to run off the paths and onto the grassed areas causing damage to the flood plain. It takes days for the paths to recover from heavy rain and from October to March they barely recover at all. How will we prevent damage in such circumstances?

 

Answer:  The event will not run during times were high rainfall or flooding is forecast. The route will be inspected, and the event cancelled if not found suitable.

 

6.   The grassed embankment, which is manmade, and runs from the Country Park car park alongside the residential properties is not owned or  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37.

38.

TREASURY MANAGEMENT OUTTURN 2020/2021 pdf icon PDF 732 KB

To report the Council’s Treasury Management activities during the year ended 31 March 2021 for consideration by Cabinet.

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

To note the Treasury Management Outturn statement.

Decision:

Cabinet considered the Council’s Treasury Management activities during the 2020/21 financial year.  The S151 Officer confirmed that we had met all the requirements for the CIPFA Code of Practice and borrowing levels are within all indicators required.

 

DECISION

 

The Treasury Management Outturn statement during the financial year ended 31 March 2021 be noted.

Minutes:

Cabinet considered the Council’s Treasury Management activities during the 2020/21 financial year.  The S151 Officer confirmed that we had met all the requirements for the CIPFA Code of Practice and borrowing levels are within all indicators required.

 

DECISION

 

The Treasury Management Outturn statement during the financial year ended 31 March 2021 be noted.

39.

CABINET WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 160 KB

To consider and amend the Cabinet Work Programme.

Minutes:

The Cabinet Work Programme was considered and amended:

 

1.   A report on the Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) to be considered in September.

2.   Food and Health & Safety Service Plan postponed to October.