Agenda and minutes

Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Tuesday, 20th April, 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber

Contact: Committee Services 

Items
No. Item

128.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 314 KB

The minutes of the meeting of 16 March 2021 are attached to be confirmed and signed as a correct record.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting of 16 March 2021 were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

129.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence from Members*.

 

*Note: Members are asked to email Committee Services in advance of the meeting as soon as they become aware they will be absent.

Minutes:

Apologies had been received from Councillor Wright and Councillor Wildsmith.

130.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

To declare disclosable, pecuniary and any other interests*.

 

*Note: Members are asked to email Committee Services in advance of the meeting as soon as they become aware they may have an interest to declare.

Minutes:

None.

131.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION (ITEMS PERTAINING TO THE AGENDA)

Anyone wishing to make a statement to the Committee should contact Committee Services at least two clear working days prior to the meeting. Further information can be found at  https://www.hart.gov.uk/sites/default/files/4_The_Council/Council_meetings/Public%20Participation%20leaflet%202020%20A4.pdf

Minutes:

None.

132.

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

Minutes:

The Chairman had three announcements. Firstly, to apologise for her breach of protocol at the meeting of the Committee held in March, by allowing a non-member of the Committee to speak ahead of Committee members regarding a specific agenda item. Secondly, relating to the same item, which was the Fleet Road Pedestrianisation scheme, two additional points were raised by Cllr Dorn but were not discussed, as they were not part of the report being scrutinised, but are acknowledged as valid points. The Chairman noted that during the discussion some members spoke across each other and over the Chairman, she asked that Members be respectful to each other and to the Chairman when speaking at committee. Thirdly, on the report that went to the October Cabinet meeting for Members to discuss the transitioning from the Emergency Response Phase of Covid-19 to that of Recovery which included an action plan and set targets. Much had changed since October and the action plan and targets need updating. The Committee supported the idea of setting up a Working Group of three Members to look at updating the plan and targets. The Monitoring Officer added that he will be contacting a further three members to set up a Working Group to review KPIs with a view to making them on more meaningful and more outcome focused.

133.

PRESENTATION BY BERKELEY ST EDWARDS

This is a presentation on employment and skills work by Berkeley St Edwards at Hartland Village by Liza Smith who is the Employment and Skills Manager.

Minutes:

Liza Smith, the Employment and Skills Manager and Alan Hopley, the Senior Project Manager from Berkeley St Edward, attended and presented the work on the progress at Hartland Village.  Members were informed that work on-site progressed steadily during the Covid Pandemic with Phase 1 almost complete, work on phase 2 started and Phase 3 on track to commence soon with the 70 acres of country park now open.

 

The presentation covered areas of employment which are supporting Hart and Rushmoor to aid areas of unemployment including youth unemployment, adding value to the Hart over 50’s Club, a Women’s only construction event, virtual work experience placements and delivering events including visits to sites for students to experience real life construction.  Berkley St. Edward are engaging with residents from all areas of Hart supporting all initiatives to capture all ethnic groups and genders.  Members asked about consideration of a local Scout Hut into the community.

134.

SERVICE PERFORMANCE - HEADS OF SERVICE ATTENDANCE

Head of Place to attend to discuss service performance.

Minutes:

The Head of Place attended to discuss service performance and informed the Committee of the support given to the Business Grants scheme, on Elections and the Lateral Flow Testing Centre.  The Committee were updated on Environmental Health matters including COVID patrols and inspections, issues around fly tipping enforcements, breach of noise notices, and the new deed for the shared Licensing Service.  Also considered was development management and building control, planning policy and economic development, business support and facilities.  The Place Service are continually working on its Service Plan and concentrating on areas that need further assistance. Work has continued on the Neighbourhood Plan referendums, Community Infrastructure Levy and Local Enforcement Plan.

 

The Head of Place agreed to circulate a summary of the performance statistics on the Development Management Service.

 

The Service has also launched an investment website called Hart for Business:  https://www.hartforbusiness.co.uk/

 

Members thanked the Enforcement Team for action taken at Winchfield Court and asked for clarification on the preparation of a Traveller DPD.

Summary of Performance Statistics pdf icon PDF 113 KB

135.

MINUTES FROM THE MULTI-AGENCY FLOODING GROUP pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 22 March 2021 to be noted.

Minutes:

Minutes of the meeting held on 22 March 2021 were noted.

136.

WASTE MANAGEMENT CONTRACT pdf icon PDF 1 MB

The Chairman to brief Committee Members on the attached appendices which were considered by Cabinet on 1 April 2021.  Appendix G is exempt.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman briefed Committee on Cabinet’s consideration of changes to the Waste Management Contract. Appendix G was confidential.

 

Members asked for clarification of the controls/safeguards in the new waste arrangements to ensure that Hart get equal priority such as for example, clearing bring sites when they are overflowing (recent example). The Committee also asked that once things settled down (perhaps in September) a short update report is brought to Committee to reflect on how the new arrangements are working. Members were particularly keen to learn if the staff concerns as outlined in the confidential appendices were resolved.

 

DECISION

 

A.       The Head of Environmental & Technical Services to circulate a note to Committee to clarify the controls/safeguards in the new waste arrangements to ensure that Hart get equal priority.

 

B.       In 6 months’ time a short update report is brought to Committee to reflect on how the new Waste Management Contract arrangements are working.

137.

HART HOUSING PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY LTD: INITIAL DRAFT BUSINESS PLAN pdf icon PDF 130 KB

The Council has agreed to set up a wholly owned company limited by shares to hold and maintain residential assets procured by the Council for commercial return purposes. This report deals with the draft business case and seeks Committee’s input.

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

Committee is invited to consider the draft Business Plan attached at Appendix 1 and to forward its views to Cabinet. The areas specifically highlighted in yellow in the business plan are particularly recommend for discussion.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Council had agreed to set up a wholly owned company limited by shares to hold and maintain residential assets procured by the Council for commercial return purposes.  The Committee were invited to consider the draft business case and forward its view to Cabinet. In terms of the future role in scrutinising the Company’s activities Members were specifically asked if they had any comments of the draft terms of reference for the proposed Company Scrutiny Panel.

 

DECISION

 

A.       Members would like an opportunity to have an input into the draft of the proposed Articles of Association and also the proposed Shareholder Agreement.

 

B.       It was also recommended that the risk assessment be adjusted to make it more clear about the scale of risk and mitigation.

138.

MODERN.GOV pdf icon PDF 273 KB

This report is to update the Committee of the ongoing implementation and bringing into use the new committee management system (Modern.gov).

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

This report contains no recommendation as the report is an update for information only.

Minutes:

The Committee were updated on the ongoing implementation and bringing into use the new committee management system (Modern.gov).

 

This report contained no recommendation and was an update for information only.

139.

CHAIRMAN'S ANNUAL REVIEW OF THE WORK OF THE COMMITTEE pdf icon PDF 209 KB

To review the work of Overview and Scrutiny Committee over the past year 2020/21.

Minutes:

Members considered the Chairman’s review of the work of Overview and Scrutiny Committee over the past year 2020/21.  The report followed the previous year format which will be presented at full Council.

 

The Chairman thanked the Committee for all its contributions over the past year and for their constructive criticism throughout. Members expressed how thorough and well presented the annual review was.

140.

CABINET WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 163 KB

The Cabinet Work Programme is attached for information.

Minutes:

The Cabinet Work Programme was considered and noted.

141.

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 267 KB

To consider and amend the Overview and Scrutiny Work Programme.

Minutes:

The Overview and Scrutiny Work Programme was considered and amended.

 

         To bring to Committee in 6 months’ time a short report that reflects on the how the new Waste Management Contract is operating.